Thursday, November 16, 2017

An introduction to my blog

Hello and welcome,
I will be using this blog to keep people informed as I continue the transformation process that I started on August 21, 2017. That was the day I entered into a mental health treatment program at the Minneapolis VA hospital, that turned my life around.

Just a bit of background, I am a 53 year old man who lives with mental illness, one of my diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). If you are not familiar with what that is I recomend you look it up. I do not want to get into teaching about the diagnostics, that is not tbe purpose of this blog.

The program used a type of treatment I had not tried before called Dialctical Bbeavioral Therapy (DBT). For more information concernig DBT. I recomend reading  the work of Dr. Marsha M. Linehan. I especially recomend what she says about the Biosocial Theory concerning BPD)

The aspect of the program that has made the most profound inpact in my life thus far is that of mindfulness, being present in the moment. As you read on you will hear me speak of mindfulness alot. You will also hear me make reference to other DBT SKILLS. My attemt is to explain what the skill is about when I mention it the first time.

So off we go into the adventure of my redefining myself as well as my life that all started when I entered the Journey Program at the VA.

1 comment: