Thursday, November 16, 2017

My weight loss goals

One of the effects that the practice of mindfulness and other DBT skills has had on me is that I now feel like a whole and complete person. As a result of feeling this way I have made some decisions concerning my physical body. One of which is that I need to lose some weight and get into better shape.  As of now this has involved signing up for the MOVE weight loss program at the VA. This was a difficult decision because at first it registered ,to me, as defeat. Asking for help to deal with this problem that I have tried over and over to fix on my own, as difficult as it was, is probably one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. 

When I signed up for the MOVE program I was given a pedometer and just having it my pocket has served as motivation to walk more. I now plan extra time to walk to places I would have taken public transit to, I also get off public transit at least a stop early when I know where I am going. There are places I skip public transit altogether and simply walk to. 

After months of saying I needed to join a gym again, I did so this past Monday and have gone 3 times since joining , and today is Thursday.  The gym is about a half hour walk from my apartment and I walk both ways .  Monday and Tuesday I spent an hour walking on the treadmill while I was at the gym.  Today things changed, I had my first of three sessions with a personal trainer that came free with joining.  Steven, the trainer talked about where I am and where I want to be concerning my fitness goals. We came up with a plan that I feel confident about. 

So here are the facts about my physical fitness.  I am a 53 year old man with a body fat percentage of 36.6.  I am 269 pounds as of the last time I stepped on a scale which was a week ago tomorrow. I deal with arthritic knees and ankles along with an assortment of other aches and pains. I have high blood pressure, I have had at least one minor heart attack, and last winter I damaged my rotator cuff. 

So this is the plan we came up with to take me from large to in charge.

My first goal is to learn how to work out like an athlete , using my muscles in the most effective way, becoming knowledgeable and comfortable with using weights in order to tighten, tone and torch in each workout

My second goal is to be down to  230 pounds (I think that was something like 25% body fat) by my Birthday 8/14 with the reward of spending my birthday weekend in the San Francisco bay area visiting my friend Beth

My third goal is to me down to 220,  ( I think that was 20% body fat) by this time next year 11/15/18 my reward for reaching this goal will be getting a peacock tattoo on my outer thigh.

My longest term goal is to have a 6 pack (9% body fat) by 11/15/2020 My reward for reaching this goal is getting the belly tattoo I have been wanting (still not sure what it will be probably a Buddha or some other religious or spiritual symbol.

My next session with Steven is on Monday and we will be discussing nutrition because I know I need to make some serious changes in this area as well. I am thinking about going vegan, have thought about it off and on for years. I believe this is the moment. 

I know this is all going to be difficult, and that it will likely bring up things I have avoided dealing with for years, but I am worth it.

I am powerful
I am confident
I am not alone 
and 
THIS IS WHO I AM

Here are some pictures taken on November 16, 2017 showing how my body looks at the begining of the weight loss process, me at 269 pounds and 36.6% body fat  





No comments:

Post a Comment